A good night’s sleep is essential for physical and mental health and well-being. Health experts say adults should sleep between seven and nine hours every night, and high-quality sleep ensures that your body is well-rested and has regenerated sufficient energy for the new day. Unfortunately, most adults, approximately 70% of Americans, find difficulties falling asleep or achieving deep sleep.
Finding the right natural products to help with sleep is confusing, with more products and supplements flooding the market. However, as CBD products become widely available, some people have integrated CBD supplements into their everyday lives for various health benefits. What remains uncertain is if CBD can make you sleepy. But research shows CBD can improve sleep quality and offer indirect potential health benefits to help you fall asleep faster.
Read on to answer the common question: Does CBD make you sleepy?
What is CBD?
CBD is among the more than 120 plant compounds found in the hemp plant, otherwise known as cannabinoids. Unlike THC, an active hemp plant derivative, CBD is non-psychoactive and doesn’t have a high feel. Instead, it has a plethora of health benefits without major side effects.
CBD affects the body by interacting with receptors of the endocannabinoid system in the body. It enhances the ECSs response to various factors, such as pain, fatigue, stress, and inflammation.
CBD is beneficial in the following ways:
- Improves body recovery from pain and inflammation
- Supports the development of healthy sleep cycles
- Indues a sense of calm and focus
- Relieves everyday stress
- Improves blood circulation
- Enhances athletic performance in athletes
What Does CBD Oil Feel Like?
Individual response to CBD largely depends on various unique factors. These factors include body type, gender, metabolism, and weight. CBD effects are also influenced by the method of consumption, be it ingestion, topical, or tinctures, and if you are concurrently using other supplements or medications.
Above all, the type of CBD used also affects the general feel. CBD is primarily available in three types, namely:
- Full spectrum – contains all (more than 120) naturally occurring hemp plant cannabinoids. Full-spectrum CBD oil offers maximum benefits of CBD because of the entourage effect, where all the hemp plant compounds interact in the body.
- Broad spectrum – contains nearly all cannabinoids, except for THC. THC in broad-spectrum CBD oil is removed after the first extraction stage.
- CBD isolate – is the simplest CBD form made by removing all plant compounds in the hemp plant except for CBD. Even though it is widely preferred because it doesn’t have the effects of THC, it is less effective than full and broad-spectrum CBD, and users don’t benefit from the entourage effect.
That said, using CBD can make you feel:
- Calm and relaxed
- Decreased anxiety
- A sense of improved wellbeing
Additionally, the quantity or dose of CBD used also affects how you feel. Low doses of CBD increase focus and alertness, while high doses induce relaxation.
Does CBD Make You Tired and Fall Asleep?
Besides inquiries on the effects of CBD on sleep, another commonly asked question is will CBD make you tired? While CBD can help you relax, it shouldn’t make you tired or sleepy unless you take high doses.
Hemp or CBD extract cannot make users tired. While CBD can make someone sleepy, test subjects consumed 5 to 20 times more than the regular dose. However, blending CBD with other products has synergistic effects, leading to drowsiness.
How to Use CBD as an Effective Sleep Aid for Sleep Disorders
CBD can only be an effective sleep aid if anxiety or anxiousness is the primary cause of your sleep disorders. Those who have used CBD to relieve their anxiety attest to the effectiveness of these products. Unfortunately, if your sleep problems are severe and caused by other issues, typical CBD oils can’t help.
However, there’s a way you can use CBD as an effective sleep aid. While regular CBD is effective for chronic pain management, anxiety, and inflammation relief, it isn’t an excellent product for improving sleep quality unless blended with scientifically backed natural sleep aids.
The combination of CBD hemp extract and sleep aids, such as melatonin, can create an effective sleep-inducing product for those with trouble sleeping.
What CBD Products are Best to Make Me Sleepy?
Most CBD brands have introduced CBD sleep-inducing extracts developed by blending melatonin with CBD-rich extracts. Those who’ve used these products don’t need to take considerable doses to get a restful sleep. These CBD products should be used 30 minutes to one hour before bedtime for effective results.
The best CBD products that can help you get better sleep include:
Keoni CBD Sport Sleep Gummies are among the best CBD products on the market that promote sleep. The brand manufactures a wide range of CBD products backed by scientific evidence.
CBD gummies for sleep from Keoni are ideal for deep relaxation and sleep. All CBD products from the company can be purchased from premium retailers or https://keonicbd.com/.
Serenity Gummies by Blush Wellness are a potent CBD product for sleep issues and have a massive following.
The company also develops other CBD products designed to alleviate anxiety and relaxation while inducing sleep. Blush Wellness uses high-grade domestically grown hemp and collaborates with reputable pharmaceutical companies to develop a wide range of CBD skincare products that promote sleep.
3. Pure relief gummies
Unlike before, when gummies were reserved for children’s vitamin supplements, gummies are becoming a hit for adults looking to supplement their vitamins, minerals, and other products deliciously. Pure relief CBD gummies for sleep contain 2.5mg melatonin and 30mg pure CBD in various flavors. They are a perfect formula that helps users power down their long days.
4. Populum full-spectrum CBD
Populum is another reputable brand that manufactures CBD oil for sleep. The brand focuses on creating premium and highly effective CBD for its customers. The full-spectrum CBD from populum comes with a light orange flavor that packs an enjoyable taste.
In the recommended dosage, CBD cannot make you tired or sleepy. CBD on its own is a poor sleep aid, and users only get sleepy if they take copious amounts, which is dangerous.
The best way to use CBD for sleep without worrying about how much CBD you should take is to use CBD and melatonin for synergistic effects.
As always, consult your doctor before taking CBD for sleep.
- ASA Authors & ReviewersSleep Physician at American Sleep Association Reviewers and WritersBoard-certified sleep M.D. physicians. “Sleep Statistics: Data about Sleep Disorders.” American Sleep Association, https://www.sleepassociation.org/about-sleep/sleep-statistics/.
- Rapin, Lucile, et al. “Cannabidiol Use and Effectiveness: Real-World Evidence from a Canadian Medical Cannabis Clinic.” Journal of Cannabis Research, BioMed Central, 23 June 2021, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8223341/.
- Keoni CBD. “Buy Keoni Sport CBD Sleep Gummies Online.” August 2022, https://keonicbd.com/product/keoni-sport-sleep-gummies/.
- Larsen, Christian, and Jorida Shahinas. “Dosage, Efficacy, and Safety of Cannabidiol Administration in Adults: A Systematic Review of Human Trials.” Journal of Clinical Medicine Research, Elmer Press, Mar. 2020, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7092763/.
- Blush Wellness CBD. “Buy Blush Wellness Serenity CBD Gummies Online.” August 2022, https://blushwellness.com/product/serenity-750mg-gummies/.
- Shannon, Scott, et al. “Cannabidiol in Anxiety and Sleep: A Large Case Series.” The Permanente Journal, The Permanente Journal, 2019, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6326553/.